Monday, September 23, 2013

Announcements!

First of all, I just want to thank everyone who responded in some way to my last blog post. The views on this blog have more than doubled from just that one piece - to say I was overwhelmed is a bit of an understatement! I have so enjoyed reading all of the discussions that it inspired. I got such great positive feedback and encouraging words from a wide range of people - anyone from Facebook friends to people from all over the world who just happened to stumble across it. I'm glad that I was able to put the experiences of so many into words and help people realize that they are not alone.

So, I'm sorry to those of you who asked for one, but this won't be another post addressing something important - though don't worry, one will surely come. This is, like the title says, some exciting announcements!

After the last post went live, a former classmate and Relay for Life committee member sent me a message. He's now a teacher at a local New Orleans high school and wants to use the post in his sessions with students! So next month, my blog will be used in an educational setting, and the following class period, I'll be coming to talk to the students and discuss race and stereotypes in our society. How cool is that?

Also, the wonderful Trinity Griffin (who is the same Trinity I mentioned in that last post) has nominated me for a Liebster Award!


I'm stealing the description from her blog:

"The Liebster Award is a sweet way of encouraging bloggers with less than 200 followers (like me!). Once you're nominated, you answer 11 questions given to you, nominate 5 more blogs with less than 200 followers, and then ask them 11 questions."

Here are my eleven questions to answer:

1. What is your favorite thing about fall?
My favorite thing about fall back home is all of the beautiful leaves. I also really miss bonfires. Fall in New Orleans...does not exist.

2. What's on your fall playlist?
I don't have one - I don't make playlists by seasons, usually just by what type of music I feel like listening to. But the last Spotify playlist I made was the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

3. Would you rather take a vacation on the East coast or the West coast?
East coast - I have family there!

4. Who is your role model?
My mom. Even a head injury won't stop her from trying to be the best mother and friend possible. (She also has a blog - check her out here!)

5. If your life was a movie, who would you want to play you?
I was actually just asked this question during rush for Phi Sigma Pi. I'd want Keke Palmer to play me - plus, fun fact, her real name is Lauren. So it was meant to be.


Yeah, someone this gorgeous needs to play me.
6. If you had to choose one item of clothing to represent your personality, what would it be?
Jeans. Comfy and versatile, can be dressed up or dressed down! (I'll let you decide if that's a metaphor for my personality or not.)

7. What is your most treasured possession?
I don't know that I have one - but if I did, it would be a book.

8. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A writer. (Hey, it's working!) Figure skater, pop star, and President of the United States were tossed around, too.

9. Heels or flats?
Flats. Dear god, please don't make me walk in stilettos.

10. What fall color best describes your personality?
Purple.

11. Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas? Favorite?
Ooh...Thanksgiving edges out Christmas. I love Christmas, but I always stress out over finding the right gift for people. I just want it to be perfect! But I love Thanksgiving - I get to be with my whole family, the whole house is warm and smells fantastic, there's seasonal music on the stereo, and everyone makes something delicious to eat. Halloween gets an honorable mention, too.

I'll post my nominations and questions in an update soon! 

And the final announcement, reserved for those who have made it through this whole post...

Drumroll, please...

I finished the second draft of my novel! 

Me yesterday after I typed the last word. 

That's why there's an update today and there wasn't one yesterday - yesterday I was hard at work on the last few pages of that draft, and I am proud to say that it's complete! It took me one year and ended up being much longer than I anticipated (343 pages and over 100,000 words), but I am so incredibly happy to actually have a result of all of my hard work.

It's not completely done yet - I'll be beginning the editing process soon. It needs to be read over for continuity, to make sure all of the characters have strong, individual voices, etc. But that won't take as long as actually writing it did. 

Then, after that...who knows? With any luck, it'll end up on your bookshelf. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment