Saturday, January 4, 2014

Remembering 2013

We're constantly told that we live in a very narcissistic time, especially if you believe all of the media reports that millennials are the most self-obsessed and good-for-nothing generation that ever walked the earth. (Though I bet if any other generation had this technology, they'd be doing the same thing. I see you, Generation X, don't lie.) Okay - we post pictures of our meals on Instagram as if other people actually care what spaghetti we ate, 'selfie' was the word of 2013, and anyone with a cell phone can videotape themselves and upload it to YouTube. Fine. So in such a period where we broadcast our lives on Facebook and apparently care about nothing but ourselves, one would think that it would be acceptable to post what we're proud of doing....right?

Well...not really. How many times have you refused to actually say how well you're doing at your job or at school because you're afraid people will think you're bragging or self-centered? It's easy to be self-deprecating, but it's not as easy to actually just step up and say, "You know what? I did a really great job, I'm proud of myself, and there's nothing wrong with saying so."

So that's what I'm going to do now. I am actually really proud of everything I accomplished in 2013, and I want to write that down for myself as a reminder of what I can accomplish in 2014. I learned an incredible amount, made so many wonderful new friends, and gained a lot of professional experience as well. Recognizing what I've been able to accomplish and giving myself some props is healthy - and you should probably do the same for yourself, too. :)

In 2013:


  • I applied for and earned a spot as part of the SuperBowl 2013 security team - and actually got to go to the SuperBowl. 
I had an all-access pass to this. HOW COOL IS THAT?!
  • I got a job that I absolutely love as an Orientation Team Leader at Tulane. 
  • I made it through losing someone I loved a lot and became a better and stronger person for it - and I know now that I'm better off.
  • I realized how much I love just being Lauren, by myself, and seeing where that takes me. 
  • I randomly went to a lecture and scored a semester-long web design internship by the end of it.
  • I took a chance and applied to study abroad in England during the summer, which turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. (Just read some of the posts that started this blog.)
Love these girls.
  • I worked incredibly hard and earned a spot as a freelance writer for Kicker over twenty other applicants.
  • I was named the co-director of the New Orleans Universities Relay for Life.
  • I put in over 65 hours as an editorial intern for NOLAWoman.com during the first semester of my junior year while keeping my grades up in all of my classes, playing for the Tulane Club Volleyball team, running half of Relay for Life, and being active in my other honor societies and organizations (of which there are probably way too many).
  • I rushed and became an official brother of Phi Sigma Pi - a great decision that took me way too long - and gained a new family.

  • I finally finished the second draft of my novel in September and began working on the third draft. 
  • The many hours I spent watching every single special feature on DVDs finally became somewhat reality - I spent three awesome days as an extra on the movie 22 Jump Street. 
Yes, I took a bathroom mirror selfie. No, I am not ashamed. I had to hide from the producers to take this picture.
  • And finally - I started this blog! This has already started conversations, changed the way some people think, and caused some smiles. As a writer, that's the best thing I can hear. 

Writing this list out actually helped me remember things that I forgot happened during 2013, and it made me realize how great of a year it actually was. Bring it on, 2014. I am so ready for you. 

What were your great 2013 moments? Take a moment to celebrate your own accomplishments from the year - you earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment